Frequently Asked Questions

What are your hours/days of operation?

Surplus is open to the public. Our hours of operation are Tuesday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Where are you located?

The Surplus Warehouse is located several miles off campus at 7500 Thomas Blvd Pittsburgh, PA 15208 in Point Breeze. Map / Directions

What types of items do you carry?

Surplus carries a vast array of University-owned items including lab, office furniture, and computer equipment, as well as many other unique items. We also sell used vehicles by a posted cost or bidding process. We encourage you to take a look at the vehicles available and view some of the items currently in our inventory.

What are the services that you offer?

Aside from surplus resale, we also offer free electronic waste disposal (e.g., computers, monitors, televisions, audio equipment, and other electronic equipment), item destruction (e.g., PC hard drive destruction and tape media), and item storage (e.g., furniture during a renovation project). Some services are provided at a nominal cost depending on the service.

How do I request moving my University items to Surplus?

Use 1-Click to send your department's equipment, furniture, or supplies to Surplus. Surplus Property will process your request and the Transportation department will contact you to schedule a pickup date and time.

Should I do anything to a computer before it is picked up by Surplus?

Surplus Property provides a free pickup service that will ensure the computer’s hard disk is physically destroyed, and the computer is recycled in an environmentally responsible manner. Currently, all electronics are picked up and disposed of at no cost to University departments.

Are there costs involved with moving items to Surplus?

There may be costs associated with moving items to surplus depending on the items. The Surplus Property Manager or Transportation Manager can discuss these costs when they contact you to schedule the pickup. Surplus may provide reimbursement of a percentage of the sales proceeds to the releasing University department based on a minimum sale price.

Does Surplus handle the removal of hazardous substances/materials?

For equipment that contains or was used with or near hazardous substances, contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety and Radiation Safety for approval and guidelines for disposal. Review the Guidelines for Moving Equipment from Biological Laboratories before contacting Surplus and complete the Laboratory Equipment Decontamination Certificate. The issuing department is responsible to ensure that all equipment shipped or moved within the University is safe to transport. Equipment that may contain refrigerant is reclaimed prior to disposal of the unit at minimal charge to the department.

How do I make a personal purchase?

To view and purchase surplus property, stop in during our hours of operation, Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. All visitors must check in at the guard station next to the loading docks. Surplus Property follows the University of Pittsburgh’s calendar; call on holidays to check availability.

How do I make a purchase for my department?

To view and purchase surplus property, call 412-624-6500 to schedule an appointment before visiting the Surplus Warehouse. We can also provide information and digital pictures by email. Department accounts will be charged for purchases by submitting a purchase requisition.

What forms of payment do you take?

Surplus accepts cash, personal checks, and Visa and MasterCard credit cards. A $20 minimum is required for credit card purchases.

Do you deliver?

We are only permitted to deliver items to University departments. Pickup and delivery of personal purchases are the responsibility of the purchaser.

Will someone from your staff help me load my purchases into my vehicle?

Yes, we are happy to offer loading assistance on all purchases but are not responsible for any damage to vehicles.

My office is remodeling/replacing our furniture. Can I buy my bookshelf, table, file cabinet, or other office equipment?

Employees may purchase items if, after review, it is determined that items will not be reused or reissued within the department or University.

Are there specific policies and procedures to follow for moving an item to Surplus?

Each department is responsible for notifying Financial Records Services when capitalized equipment is being transferred or retired per policy 05-10-01 (Capitalization of Fixed and Movable Assets). When a piece of capital equipment is transferred to Surplus Property through the 1-Click site, Financial Records Services will be automatically notified to comply with established University policy. Refer to the FRS web page for additional information on asset transfer or retirement.

To ensure that unwanted electronic equipment from the University of Pittsburgh is managed in accordance with EPA requirements, follow the University’s policy and procedure for the disposition of these items.

Procedure 10-06-04, Surplus Equipment Recycling and Disposal

Policy 10-06-04, Surplus Equipment Recycling and Disposal